Saturday, August 13, 2016

Alec's Farewell/MTC Drop Off

*This is a very long blogpost, but I want to document every bit of these memories, if it's too long for you to hear all the nitty gritty details, skip to the last few paragraphs where I causally bear my soul


The series of events that led to Alec leaving for his mission were nothing short of exciting. Alec submitted his mission papers shortly after graduating high school. We were expecting to hear his report date and where he would be serving around the 4th of July. I even brought my laptop to our hotel the weekend of the 4th just in case we needed to Skype last minute. 

Weeks rolled by and we were all wondering how long the mail really took to get a couple states away. Long story short, on Wednesday,  July 13, we found out that mail doesn't take that long. Instead, his mail got lost in the mail. We found this out through an email Alec received welcoming him to the Idaho Pocatello Mission. We all thought it was a joke because Ethan and I live 15 minutes away from the boarder of his mission and our family is known to play pranks. *cough cough Mark*




We were all in complete shock, but ecstatic to finally receive the news. My mom made arrangements to have a second mission call over nighted to him the next day. This one didn't get lost, but it did say that Alec would be reporting to the Missionary Training Center on Wednesday, August 10th.  I'll save you the math and tell you that only gave Alec (and my very panicked mother) four weeks to prepare to leave. Most people have anywhere between 6 weeks to 6 months to prepare for the location to get any last minute shots or visas required. 


It was a mad house, especially because Alec would need to have his missionary farewell on July 30th. Unfortunately, that was the same day Ethan and I were supposed to be flying back to Idaho after our previously planned family vacation. After cancelled plane tickets, rearranged plans, and not a dime refunded, Ethan and I decided to drive to California. He's the best husband, I swear. We also have the best bosses in the world for letting us take ten days off work with such short notice.

On the way to California, we stopped in Utah for the weekend to attend part of the Merrill family reunion in Bountiful. That was a lot of fun, but a quick trip. We spent the night in Utah Saturday night with the Chaffees, then drove to St. George Sunday night to spend the night with Connie. Monday morning, we woke up bright and early with hopes of spending as much time as possible with Alec. 


The first thing Alec did when we got there was take Ethan and I to lunch at a place I have taken Alec many times. He was very proud to pay for us and insisted on doing so to pay us back for all we have done for him. That was a pretty cool moment. 


Tuesday night, Alec went through the temple for the first time. Being in the temple with Alec felt so complete. The spirit was so strong and I will forever remember those feelings of comfort.


We spent the next couple days at the river as previously planned, and that was a lot of fun enjoying the sun and spending time together as a family before Alec headed off  to the foreign land of Idaho. 

Even though we had a good time together, it was hard knowing those were the last couple times we would see Alec before two years without him. That was lingering in the back of all our minds all week. 


Saturday night, we came home from our time at the river, and I was able to give Alec a photo book I made him for his mission. It was filled with pictures of things and people he loves. They were mostly of him and I through the years, but I wanted to make it something he could look a if he was missing home. 


Sunday morning, we got up and got ready for church and my mom, Alec and I spoke of the truthfulness of the Gospel at church. After the church meeting, we had a small get together at my mom's house to spend time with Alec. Knowing that it would be the last time I spent with Alec, I soaked up every minute before we had to drive home the next day. It was so special to me to be able to spend that time with Alec.


August 10th arrived too quickly. After some extreme complications with my Mom, Mark, and Alec's flight, they finally got into Salt Lake where Ethan and I picked them up just hours before Alecs's report time. Boy am I grateful that we had this opportunity. I wouldn't have been able to stand these next two years without this day. We went to the Provo temple and took some pictures, then went to breakfast. 


This picture of Alec laying on my mom really pull at my heart strings. He's being held by his mommy one last time before stepping into the real world by himself for the next two years.


The drop off is too quick and cruel. Only one car is allowed to go to the curb and drop the missionary off, so Alec said goodbye to everybody but my mom, dad and I at a local park. The three of us then drove Alec straight up to the curb in the quick manner as enforced and hugged that sweet boy with all the love in the world before he walked away. 


You have to know I believe in this Gospel with all that I am because if I didn't, I wouldn't have let Alec go. I would have kicked and screamed until they said it was okay for him to stay home and experience life close to family and loved ones. If I didn't believe in the messages that Alec gets to share over the next two years, I wouldn't let him miss out on holidays and birthdays and all the memories that we will make without him while he is gone. If Alec's time serving his mission wouldn't help other families have the opportunity to spend forever together, I would't let him miss these next two years with his family.


But I do believe in what he is doing, and that's why I kissed that smooth cheek one last time and squeezed him as tight as I could before sending him off. The reunion with Alec will be so so sweet. I look forward to that daily and I am beyond proud of his sacrifices and love of Christ. Until then, I will look forward to Monday emails and serving him in the meaning. 

 Because I know that he is bringing so much happiness and joy into the lives of others, all the tears, and heartache and missing are worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment